Everybody knows that metabolism slows down with age. But before that do you know what is metabolism.
Must Read – How to cure digestion by doing yoga
What is metabolism?
Related Article – How to cure an eating disorder
Metabolism is the chemical process which converts the food what we eat into energy and eliminates the waste from the body. Food is anything like carbohydrate, protein, fats etc as per the taste of the person.
So now coming back to our topic, today I am telling you our various daily habits that ruin the metabolism.
Related Article – How to treat your asthma in winter
8 habits that kill metabolism:
- Skipping breakfast – Breakfast is a very important meal of the day. Word itself says break your fast, so always eat a portion of healthy and nutritious food. It is the best way to start your day. Your metabolism slows down during the night, so healthy breakfast is the only option to fire it up again. This will help you to burn more calories during the day. Also, research shows that when you do heavy breakfast, then you are telling your body there are plenty of calories available throughout the day. But when you skip breakfast or eat less, the message is conveyed to the body that it needs to conserve the energy rather than burning the calories thus making the metabolism slow.
- Eat wrong breakfast – I assume above that you already got the message that breakfast is important. Now you need to understand what constitutes the healthy breakfast. Breakfast that contains a lot of proteins, fiber-like egg, whole wheat, yogurt, and vegetables solves the purpose. Avoid sugary drinks and canned foods.
- Too much sitting – Sitting a lot during the day is not good. Now a day’s lifestyle is like that we spend a lot of time sitting in office, car, home etc. During this period your body goes into energy conservation mode which in turn slows down your metabolism. Slow metabolism affects your body’s ability to regulate the blood sugar, blood pressure and break down the fats.
- Avoid strength training – Cardio exercises are good but after finishing it like cycling, running, your body runs the calories very quickly and returns to normal. In spite when you do HIIT and resistance based workouts your calories run slowly and remain in the body for a longer duration to repair the muscles. As per research, strength training is very important for metabolism because it is directly associated with muscle mass. If your muscle tissue is active then your metabolic rate is very good.
- Less protein intake – Protein is very important for your muscles as it feeds the muscles. It helps in sustaining a healthy weight. If we eat very less then we get trouble to maintain the healthy muscle mass, which we already read above. One of the important points is that protein requires more energy into breakdown compare to fats and carbohydrates, so turn up to burn more calories during the digestion process.
- Less Sleep – not getting enough sleep to impact your cognitive processing. If you follow this practice of sleeping late night can have a severe impact on your health and slows down your metabolism.
- Drink Less Water – Do you know that our body contains 70% of water? Research showed that drinking water spikes the metabolic rate. So keep drinking a lot of water during the day and stay hydrated.
- Stress Level – When stress is increased in our body, a hormone called cortisol is produced. Cortisol leads to increased appetite, makes us eat more junk food, decrease our desire to do exercise and reduces sleep. All these things negatively impact our metabolism. I know it is not easy to manage stress level, but try to control it in the early stages. First, figure it out that you are under stress then protect your body against its effects.
Cut out the above habits and then you will see your high metabolism and energy level.